Disability & Carers Benefits

Disability & Carers Benefits

There are different disability benefits that can be claimed depending on your age.

Child Disability Payment (CDP)

Child Disability Payment (CDP) is a new benefit only available in Scotland and replaces Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children. CDP provides money to help with the extra care and mobility costs children and young people with a disability may have, up to the age of 18. People who currently receive DLA for children will have their awards transferred to the new CDP. Further information can be found at: https://www.mygov.scot/child-disability-payment.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) cannot now be claimed. DLA is still in payment for some adults, who have been receiving DLA since before the introduction of Personal Independence Payments (PIP) in 2013. If you are still receiving DLA and were born before 8th April 1948 you will continue to receive DLA as long as you meet the criteria. If you are still receiving DLA but were born after 8th April 1948 you will be invited to claim PIP instead. You do not have to do anything about claiming PIP until you receive a letter advising that your DLA is to end and giving you the choice of claiming PIP instead.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can be claimed by anyone between the ages of 18 and state pension age and who has a long term health problem/disability that affects their walking, or affects their ability to look after themselves about the house. You can qualify for PIP whether you are working or not and the amount you are paid is not affected by any other income you have. If awarded PIP you can continue to receive it after turning 65 as long as your care and mobility needs haven’t reduced.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is the appropriate disability benefit for those who are over state pension age and who are claiming disability benefits for the first time. Whether you qualify depends on the level of your care needs.

The above benefits can all be awarded at various rates depending on the level of your care or mobility needs. If awarded any of the above benefits this may lead to additional awards of Tax Credits/Housing Benefit/Jobseekers Allowance/Pension Credit etc.

If awarded certain rates of a Disability Benefit it may be possible for someone to claim Carers Allowance for looking after you. The carer would need to be providing more than 35 hours of care per week and can’t be a full-time student. They could be working, but would have to be earning less than £128 per week. If a carer claims Carers Allowance it is possible that this might affect your own benefits and so please seek advice before agreeing to a Carers Allowance claim being made.

Further information can be found at: